Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day LXIV - Golem


Animated clay,
Brought to life by a rabbi,
Defender of Jews.


The Frankenstein's Monster of Jewish folklore, a Golem is a slab of inanimate matter - either rock, mud or clay - brought to life through the mystical manipulation of a wise rabbi. Great hulking beings of huge strength, Golems are crafted to protect the Jewish communities of Europe from anti-Semitic attacks or perform tasks for their master creator. Once they've moulded the humanoid form, the rabbi usually animates the Golem by performing a magic ritual, drawing on God's sacred name or inscribing the word "אתם" ("emet", 'truth') on the creature's forehead. By erasing the "א" the Hebrew word for 'dead' is spelled out and the creation is promptly deactivated and rendered as lifeless matter once more. Despite being heroic defenders of persecuted Jews, Golems are at a disadvantage in that they generally lack intelligence, are unable to speak and have a tendency to turn recklessly violent. The legendary folklore figure has inspired many stories across the ages and the most well-known tale revolves around the Rabbi Judah Loew ben Bezazel and his raising of a Golem in 16th-century Prague. This narrative served as the basis for the brilliant 1920 movie Der Golem which ranks as absolute stone-cold classic of German Expressionist cinema. An icon of Judaism and imagination-captivating homunculus hero, quite frankly, I think the Golem rocks.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for such wonderful blog that looks pretty different, I would suggest you please make a proper plan for your blog and start professional blogging as a career, One day you would be smart enough pay to write my assignment to earn some money, wishing you a best of luck my friend, Thanks a lot for your nice support and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always let you and your words become part of my day because you never know how much you make my day happier and more complete. There are even times when I feel so down but I will feel better right after checking your blogs. custom assignment services You have made me feel so good about myself all the time and please know that I do appreciate everything that you have

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very next time I read a blog, I hope that it won’t fail me as much as this particular one. I mean, Yes, it was my choice to read through, however I genuinely believed you would have something helpful to say. cheap assignments help All I hear is a bunch of complaining about something that you could fix if you weren’t too busy searching for attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this will help your website become more organized because you have decided to set a part on this site for the inquiries regarding essay helper uk tax and as well as the helpful discussions. To be honest, this is one of the few sites that are doing this kind of strategy. Also, I think that this will not only benefit your clients or the potential ones but you most especially because you will be able to see the questions easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. latest technology complete is important in our daily life. It has a direct impact on the way we communicate with one other and learn new things. Especially the year 2020 was very much instrumental in introducing people to adapt to the latest technologies.
    fitness equipment exercise 
    great sunday funday 
    properties family vacation 
    mutual fund investment 
    business legally investment 
    family bonding stronger 
    profit expanding business 
    era home entrepreneurs 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pleased to get such good information. I enjoyed this article. You can also learn about morse code is the standard language of radio transmission. Find out more in the article.

    ReplyDelete